Last week in the dust lounge, I asked you to wine and dine me with your horror suggestions. I wanted to stuff my face with the best horror films and books you could cook up.
I wanted to gorge myself until the sweat poured from my eyebags and my stomach stretched around a stinking beast roiling inside it.
And, fiends, you did not disappoint.
Most of the suggestions came through on the pulsing veins of the social networks, so for those of you not tuned into them, I hereby serve you up a veritable feast of some of the horror that spread forth from your lovely, squishy brains.
Coming in on the book train, filled with demons and pus-ridden zombies…
- The Dark by James Herbert
- Ramsay Campbell
- Books of Blood by Clive Barker
- The Call of Cthulhu, The Shadow over Innsmouth by H P Lovecraft
- Thomas Ligotti
- The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
- Poppy Z Brite
- Summer of Night by Dan Simmons
- Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
The videos filling your eyeballs with shards of glass from a shattered window into hell…
- Don’t Look Now (1973)
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
- Salem’s Lot (1979)
- Lords of Salem (2013)
- Carrie (1976)
- It (1990) «DO NOT talk to me about this film, I am still getting over the trauma of watching it as a child (mainly by eating a lot of cake and avoiding any and all kids’ parties)
- The Others (2001)
- Hammer House of Horror series (1980)
Not scared enough yet? Missing your favourites? Splatter them into the comments below and add to my nightmares.
Special shout out goes to Shakes over on Twitter – for keeping me up all night with the horror chat, and helping put the world to rights over CGI vs old school effects (also, you might find he does a little bit of his own horror writing, too…).